Wednesday, May 21, 2014

One more way I am ruining their lives...

With this week being the FINAL week of school before summer break, the teachers at the girls' school create something fun every day for them to do to make memories and probably help them get things wrapped up.  I know this because it's what we were doing at preschool last week amidst gasps of outrage over why we were taking down artwork that had been prominently displayed for the entire year and shouts of glee that they could finally take their construction paper made rainbows home to show their parents.  Summer is hovering nearby, we can almost touch it but not yet.  First we have to survive this week.  Deep breaths.  We can do it.  2 more days.

Today in Delaney's 3rd grade class, it's Greek day.  The kids were encouraged to dress up if they chose to do so.  After getting a reminder text yesterday, I scoured the linen closet looking for a solid color sheet that Delaney could use as a toga.  My rummaging turned up about 15 sheets with every floral arrangement under the sun (thanks Ralph Lauren), a My Little Pony sheet set and a princess montage featuring Cinderella, Belle and Aurora.  Not a single solid color to be found anywhere except for the set currently residing on my bed which is king sized.  That sucker could be cut up and made into about 4 togas but then what the heck are Doug and I going to sleep on?  So another mommy fail.  No solid colored sheets which Delaney informed me "we need to have." 

Target is having a swim sale this week on everything from suits to goggles to inflatable pools.  The girls modeled their swimsuits from last summer so I could see what exactly they need.  Both girls needed goggles since we're down to one pair and taking turns isn't really an option at the pool and they each needed one new suit.  I polled them both to see what suits they'd prefer (tankini, one-piece, two-piece).  I set out yesterday with my list and was thrilled with the selection and styles I was able to find.  I got a cute hot pink ruffle tankini for Delaney and a one-piece black and white suit with green trim for Hadley.  Delaney gushed and twirled in hers completely happy with the fit and style I chose for her.  Sweet!  She is usually the kid that will find fault with something I have purchased for her.  I was surprised that yesterday it was Hadley who had the problem.  Her problem is with the one shoulder on her suit that is ruffled.  She stated, "my boob is showing" while pointing to her arm pit.  Delaney and I looked at each other puzzled and biting back laughter.  "Honey, that is your arm pit not boob."  Obviously, she just turned 7 so she has no boobs but I'm trying not to offend her at this point because you do NOT laugh at this kid or she will seriously turn psycho.  "I feel my boob showing!" she is shrieking and Delaney steps in to point out that she is nuts because it's her arm pit and doesn't she know the difference between her boob and arm pit.  I can't help it, I am on the verge of losing it by now with all the boob talk and Hadley is getting more pissed off by the minute because she feels we are ganging up to pick on her which is obviously not true but good Lord that child is stubborn.  Wonder where she gets it?  Finally, after some seriously mean looks from Hadley, we were able to talk her off the ledge and show her that the bathing suit is fine and she will look adorable in it this summer building sand castles or diving in her new goggles.  Somehow, I feel that this conversation is not over....

No comments: