Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Longest Hiatus Ever....

I like how I just used the word "hiatus" in my title to basically say that I'm lazy and needed a break so I fired myself from writing on my blog which I dearly missed and have decided to come back to in order to right myself.  Jeez....long winded apparently.  Give me almost a year off and now I probably will never shut the heck up.  Anyhoo, in all seriousness, I did need a break but I have decided that I sincerely miss writing about our life and if no one other than my bestest friends or Doug read this blog then I am perfectly okay with that.  Cuz in the end, those are my peeps and they seem to always have my back. 

So we've done a lot over the last 10 months.  We've acquired new pets (again).  We now a kitty named Ginger who is almost 5 months old.  We love her and her feisty attitude.  I love her dearly until about 3:30 a.m. when she decides to wake me every.single.day to protest that she would like MORE food in her dish and maybe for me to pet her for the next 30 minutes without taking a break.  I tolerate her antics for about 5 minutes before I banish her out of our room for the next few hours.  I can't just throw her in the hallway either or that results in her standing at the door and fricking howling (not kidding) at me to open the damn door and let her back in.  Doug's words to me after her first night in our home were, "She's going to cause some serious issues here in this bedroom."  I replied back with, "Oh for crying out loud, she's just a kitten!"  That was 2 months ago and man was he right.  So I end up putting her in the playroom for a few hours as it's at the end of the hallway (FAR away from our room) and she has plenty of things to occupy her.  The other morning I noticed the door was already open after I got up and she launched herself at me the second my feet hit the hallway.  Doug was already awake so I figured he did let her out.  Apparently, he thought I let her out.  After interrogating the girls, we decided maybe we have a ghost in our midst who was a passionate cat-lover in her previous life and didn't appreciate our lengths to get a good night's rest.  Wrong again.  Apparently our playroom door doesn't shut like it's supposed to and Ginger is completely capable of opening a door and letting herself out.  Don't worry....I know this is only the beginning.  Stay tuned.

Along with Ginger aka Gingey, we also acquired two new hermit crabs.  As most of you didn't know, we lost both Hermie and Hermie Jr. right before Christmas last year.  Evidently, they need humidity to survive and once it got super cold and all humidity was gone, we buried not one but two hermit crabs.  And yes I said buried.  Delaney sobbed like we just lost Buddy (who is still alive by the way) and insisted that we give them a proper burial.  So early one morning a few days before Christmas, we stood in our pajamas in the backyard and laid to rest the hermit crabs.  Doug even wrote a poem.  I literally bit my lip so hard to hold the laughter inside that I could taste blood.  When we visited our favorite beach escape this summer, the girls begged us to let them get hermit crabs again.  Now welcome Pinchy and Mr. Pinchers to the family! 

Two weeks ago,  I came home from work to find probably one of the strangest surprises of my life.  That morning before, I threw in a load of towels that was waiting to be washed in the laundry room.  I usually get home about 30 minutes from work before the girls are due to be picked up from school.  I ran upstairs to transfer the towels from the washer to the dryer.  As I was shuffling towels into the dryer I heard something hard hit the floor from my hands.  I looked down to see Mr. Pinchers in a pile on the floor staring up at me.  I will give you a guess who Mr. Pinchers belongs to?    That's right...Hadley.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out how in the world this hermit crab not only made it into the washer but somehow managed to survive the whole cycle, spinning and all.  Once the girls got home from school, I somewhat delicately asked Hadley how this could have happened.  She immediately burst into tears and practically swore on a stack of bibles that she had nothing to do with it.  Of course I didn't believe her because the kid had the worst track record ever with Hermie Jr.  Early the next morning, as I opened the playroom door up to let Ginger out, I noticed that the hermit crab cage's lid was open at the top of their cage and their sponge was removed and lying shredded in a pile on the floor.  That's right....Gingey strikes again.  This kitty is like freaking Houdini or something because how else can a cat open a cage?  We still don't know who put the hermit crab in the laundry pile but now we have not one but two suspects.  I am sorta leaning towards the furry suspect myself.

All else remains the same yet different.  Delaney is in 3rd grade this year.  She's morphing into an adult as we speak.  She is still riding horses but has also added Girl Scouts and chorus to her work load this year.  Hadley is in 1st grade.  She thought in her heart she was done with gymnastics but decided she does really love it so she's back and enjoying it all the same.  She too has added Girl Scouts to her load.  Our life is super busy and while I sometimes have to stand back and have a good cry over it, I love this family of ours and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world! 










2 comments:

Kim said...

Glad you are back to writing. Miss you guys bunches. Can't believe D and S are in third grade! Where did our little kids go?

Sarah said...

Yeah so glad you are back! We had a fish once that Spencer insisted that we buried. He was little (around 3 I think) and he still asks me when we are getting another fish like Mr. Bubbles!