Friday, August 31, 2012

A bit ragged but mostly great....









Yes...I realize THREE effing weeks just blew by without a sound from this house.  What can I say?  I've been trying to find my groove with this whole going back to work during the week thing and trying to carve out time to a) be with the girls, b) clean the house, and c) maybe grab a quiet minute here or there for myself to read.  Let's just say that while I am learning to let some things go...it's not an easy thing for me.

So this new job that I took at the preschool.....let's just say it's exceeding my expectations.  Seriously.  I mean I knew I would love it.  I love my boss.  I love my co-workers.  The teacher I'm assisting is just AWESOMENESS.  And I adore our students.  But y'all...I did not know how much I would really love it.  It feels so perfect that I feel ridiculous gushing about it.  There are some things we're just meant to do and I feel like this could be one of those things for me.  Of course there's a learning curve and I'm definitely trying to find my way but I'm seriously enjoying it.  My heart feels happy.

This past week at preschool, one of our main discussions was about family.  We asked each child to bring in a picture of their family so they could tell us about them.  We read stories.  They drew pictures of their families.  At the end of the day yesterday I had a conversation with one of my faves (don't tell) that went something like this:

Child:  My grandpa walks with a stroller.

Me:  Your grandpa walks with a walker?

Child:  Yes!  A walker!  He's really old and uses a walker.  But not because he's old.  He has a HUGE tummy!

Me:  My grandpa has a huge tummy too!

Child:  My grandpa's tummy is way bigger!

You know 4 year olds don't have much of a filter.  I can only imagine the stories I will hear.

I had forgotten how much fun it must be when you're in Kindergarten to relay your behavior chart to your mom every day upon entering your car in car line.  Hadley takes pleasure in it even when it's not exactly good behavior.  Don't get me wrong, some of the things she gets in trouble for seem downright ridiculous.  Other times I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to watch it go down.  I posted a picture up above of Hadley's behavior chart for the month of August.  Just to clue you in, I will interpret the colors for you.  Green = good.  Blue = one warning.  Yellow = two warnings.  Red = BAD.  As you can see, we had a good number of green & blue and one yellow day.  Below are some of the comments written in by the teacher's assistant:

8th:  Not following directions
9th:  Not following directions
13th:  Cutting math paper
14th:  Not working in reading centers
16th:  Touching others
17th:  Not doing writing
20th:  Playing on rug
22nd:  Cutting table's supply box; fighting over basket (yellow day)

I have to admit that while I was not surprised by most of this list, I was curious about the fighting over the basket tidbit.  So when I approached her about it she informed me that one of her "best friends" had a basket and some little shithead tried to take it away from her.  Hadley took it upon herself to snatch the basket away from said shithead and returned it to the rightful owner.  Really Mrs. Patrick?  What don't you understand?  Sheesh....it's gonna be a long year.  When I showed this behavior chart to Doug he actually snickered when he read "cutting table's supply box."  Which made me snicker and then start laughing.  I guess in the grand scheme of things it's really not a huge deal.  What will I do with this kid?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I am so glad you are enjoying your new job. I loved teaching and have thought about teaching preschool. Maybe next year when Collin is in kindergarten. Speaking of him in kindergarten, I think we will be getting some behavior charts like Hadleys' next year!