Sunday, October 30, 2011

In which Lucy carves her own pumpkin...

Fall has fast become my favorite season. I love the cool crisp air and the smell of the heat when you turn it on for the first time. You know, that funny weird smell in which you scour your brain wondering if you left the iron plugged in or something is melting in the dishwasher. I love the way the leaves all turn color. Looking out our front window to spy the trees across the street in vibrant oranges, reds and yellows. I love pajama pants and sweatshirts. I love snuggling up to Doug each night and sticking my ice cold freezing feet on his legs and hearing him yelp like a girl. I love Halloween and the girls whisking all the costume magazines up to their rooms where they peruse over them for hours, deciding which costume they need the most. I love cooking our meals in the crock pot. I love coming home from being gone for the better part of a day to smell the wonderful aroma wafting through the kitchen and knowing dinner is already done.


This weekend we tackled one of our favorite fall traditions. Pumpkin carving! Doug is like the pumpkin carving master complete with various tools that come along with our kits we have bought and kept over the years. This year, due to the short stature of our pumpkin, we opted for the spooky ghost scene. Which is super awesome if I do say so myself. Doug definitely pulls his weight with the pumpkin carving. The girls "help" with the guts and probably spend about 98% of the time playing and making various food scenarios. Which is fine since they can't really use knives to help carve.

Something else we did after all the carving was had a family movie night complete with It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown! I happened to be shopping at Walgreens the other day when I came across it. I LOVE Charlie Brown and have many fond memories of me and my brother watching various Charlie Brown movies as kids. And since we were due a movie night I figured why not? Of course the girls loved it, especially Snoopy. I forgot how darn bossy that Lucy is...and funny. One scene shows Lucy carrying in the super sharp kitchen knives and carving up her pumpkin. Doug starts making disapproving noises and I crack up because you can tell these movies were so made in a different time. A time when we rode our bicycles with NO helmets. A time when you left in the morning and played in the woods all the live long day and didn't even check in with your mother unless you were bleeding or hungry. A time when if you talked about someone's momma you got your ass kicked and you know you deserved it. A time when you were considered a responsible babysitter at the age of 10 & got paid a $1 per hour per kid. A time when you learned how to swim not by the aquatic center but by jumping off the diving board and praying to God that you managed to splash and kick your way over to the ladder. But nonetheless, watching Charlie Brown with the girls was fun and made Doug and I feel like kids again. Which is a nice feeling...real nice.








































1 comment:

Sarah said...

Your pumpkin looks awesome! We carved ours last night but it doesn't look nearly as good as yours!! Happy Halloween!

And you should run a half marathon-it is a lot of work but a lot of fun. I want to do a destination one next time-a good excuse for a girls weekend :)