Saturday, October 8, 2011

Hiatus

No, we did not disappear. I was not sick of blogging (maybe just a little). Nothing unusual happened. I decided to take a hiatus. Really, I just got overwhelmed this past month and had to let a few things go in order to get all the other billion things done. Learning to balance and the art of saying......NO. That's a word I don't always like to use. But learning to use it has really empowered me. Because as much as I would love to do certain things, it's not always possible to do it all. That is a thought that as I get older, I'm learning to live with. It's okay to say no sometimes.





Delaney's 1st "love" letter. It's looks suspiciously like an older sibling quite possibly helped him write this.



Me: What did you say to Julian?


D: I told him that I couldn't be his girlfriend now. Maybe next year in 2nd grade. I have a friend, Nevaeh, who has a boyfriend. She said she's already kissed him.



Me: 1st grade is too young for a boyfriend and I certainly don't want to find out you've kissed anyone, especially Julian.


D: Eww! I'm NOT kissing Julian!


Me: Good. Let's keep it that way.




A few days later.


D: Mom, Julian told me today that he loves the sound of my voice. I think he's falling in love with me.


Me: (SIGH)



Meet Bob Jr. Hadley actually caught this little guy all by herself. She came dashing through the back door and almost mowed me down in an attempt to show off her latest find. I told her she might want to ease up on the pressure she was exerting with Bob Jr. Also told her Bob Jr. could NOT come in the house unless he's properly housed in the bug box. We kept him for a couple of hours, and then let him hobble away to meet up with his family. We miss him but he writes to let us know he's okay.




For fall break, we packed up the girls and headed off Tennessee. It was a reschedule from a trip we tried to take in May. Delaney got strep throat and Doug ended up with a stomach bug the last time. This time both girls came down with strep just days before leaving. It's like the universe is trying to tell us something. Alas, we were still able to go.


The girls claimed this was their favorite thing that we did. It is fun but only if you don't allow yourself to think that you're 1000 feet underground. For some reason, I couldn't shake this from my mind. Ruby Falls is truly beautiful and I love how the light hit the water and rocks in the picture below.
















These are pictures all taken at Rock City. Which Doug said would be lame and turned out to be my favorite thing we did. I chickened out and refused to step on the ledge in the above picture. Let's just say I have a deep fear of heights. Nonetheless, everything seen from this high up is truly beautiful. Tennessee is really a beautiful place.




Delaney claimed Ruby Falls her favorite thing until she stepped foot on the "Duck Tour." That changed everything. Maybe it was the fact that the truck turns into a boat and hops from land to water. Or maybe it was the fact that the nice tour guide let her drive the boat. Which at first she did NOT want to do. It surprised me because any time a kid gets permission to steer something, I feel like they will do it no matter what. I explained that she wouldn't have to do the pedal because the guide would do that. All she had to do was steer. The guide would keep us safe. Once reassured, she was more than willing. Our guide couldn't have been a nicer man. He kept calling her "Captain Delaney" and quacking like a duck. Delaney thought he was hilarious. She's still practicing her quacking. Hadley wishes she could remember the Duck Tour however, she was lulled to sleep by the sound of the boat motor and the swaying motion of the water. The kid slept like a frigging rock. Our guide referred to her as "Sleeping Beauty." How appropriate.







Captain Delaney



This past week Delaney was awarded her level 1 green belt! Things are about to get real interesting because she's about to embark on a new adventure in TaeKwonDo. She gets to start sparring. She is so excited she can hardly stand it. While I am excited for her, I am also nervous. The thought of her openly fighting with another student is a hard pill to swallow. You know, the whole mama bear syndrome where no one better mess with my kids. As much as it might pain me to watch, I do think Delaney will be fantastic. She has really excelled at TaeKwonDo and works very hard. We are so proud of her.




Hadley likes to pose with the old belt even though it annoys her sister.

2 comments:

Grandma Judy said...

Tell Doug to watch the lame comments about Rock City,as it is one of Grandma Judy's very favorite places[Morri says there should be a plague up for me for the number of times and number of children and grandchildren I 've taken there-come to think of it,our Katie hasn't been there yet!]Glad you and I have the same favorite,Katie-we always did get along well!!Loved the pix!Love,Grandma Judy

Sarah said...

I am glad you are back! We have been crazy busy lately too. In fact one of the blogs I follow posted this statement and I keep saying it to myself over and over again to remind me that sometimes I just have to say no! "You can do anything but you can't do everything!"