Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Going to the chapel...

This past weekend, my little brother got married. He is now officially a husband. I now have a sister. My parents now have two daughters. Her parents have a son. You get the gist of this. My brother asked the girls to be in the wedding as a flower girl and a junior bridesmaid. I wasn't sure if Hadley was going to cooperate as she tends to get a little nervous around big groups of adults that she doesn't know well. Don't worry, be happy....she did just fine! All the kids did so great it made my heart burst with joy watching it. The ceremony was short and sweet. I was even introduced to something I've never seen or heard of until now...unity sand. That's right, not a unity candle but the blending of two different sands. I was unsure about it at first but I have to say that by the end of the ceremony I was totally sold on the idea and thought that if it had been around when we got hitched I would have liked to do it too.


Listening to my brother and his bride say their vows, it made me think back to our vows and wonder if I could add to it as someone who has been married for 10 years. What would I add? What would the Katie now say to Katie back then? Words of wisdom? How about that marriage is hard, hard work and there are gonna be days when you're ready to throw in the towel but don't. Because in my opinion one of the most important lines you repeat is "for better or worse, in good times and bad." We all love the good times but struggle with the bad. But this is marriage, and even if I could go back and give Katie then some advice, I wouldn't change a thing. Marriage might be hard work but it can be so rewarding too. I get to spend my life with my best friend. My husband knows me better than anyone else on earth. While we are not a perfect couple, we are perfect for each other. At the end of the day, there's no one else I'd rather be with.




To Chris & Christy, I wish you both all the best on a lifetime of discovering your best friend and all that it entails. Hold on tight to each other and enjoy the ride...




Carter & Hunter


Hadley & Delaney


She's seriously happy (can't you tell)!



Nana fluffing her hair one last time...




The happy groom!












Unity Sand










The flower girls got a little bored so they threw out the remaining petals in their baskets.





Four generations picture




My parents with the grandkids












The groom's cake (Iowa Hawkeye)




First Dance as Mr. & Mrs. Tesch











Dad & Daughter Dance (so sweet!)






Mother & Son Dance (I bawled like a baby)







Nana & Hadley busting a move!







"Dance with us Uncle Chris!"













Can you tell we love to dance?









Hadley's last dance of the evening....with her Papa.







And what a wonderful night it was!


1 comment:

Grandma Judy said...

Congratulations to Chris and family.Everyone looked beautiful!I can't believe you and Doug have been married 10 yrs already-Morri and I just made it to 40 on 10/23!!The sand thing looked really nice.