Saturday, February 5, 2011

No such luck...

Okay, I feel like I need to write about something that's happened over the last two days so I can have some closure and move on. Something sad. Something that's had me awake at nights wondering, praying, and hoping for a solution. When I took Oliver to the vet last week for his incident with tapeworms, the vet rechecked his ringworm. He assured me that he looked MUCH better and he didn't see any symptoms of any current ringworm. He did however inform me that Oliver would now be known as a carrier of ringworm. For those of you that don't have a clue what I'm talking about, it means that while he may not show any clinical signs of ringworm, he may carry infective spores on the hair and skin. I was a little skeptical. But knowing how much the girls freaking love him, I decided to wait it out and see if anyone developed any new ringworm spots and then would go from there.

Fast forward a week later, not only did each of the girls acquire a few new spots, I did as well. My heart felt like it was shattering. While some of you may think this was a no brainer, I did not know what decision to make. So through prayer and guidance from God, I felt like the new ringworm spots was the sign I had been praying for. Nonetheless, it still felt very unfair. I should mention too that while I had been toying with the idea that we might not get to keep Oliver, I had also explained to Delaney what the problem with keeping him might present. For being only 6 years old, she really seemed to grasp why. While it made her completely emotional to even think of getting rid of our Oli, she did understand why it might have to happen. So when the girls woke up Friday morning with several new ringworm spots, I knew that it was time to say good-bye to Oli.

For some of you reading this, I may seem kinda crazy. Who loves a cat when you've only had him for not even two whole months? Us. Oliver had become a fun addition to our family. He was truly the perfect cat for us. He played with the girls endlessly. Wherever they were, you could be sure that he was with them. If Delaney wanted him to snuggle with her while watching TV, then that's what he did. He curled up every night on the end of Delaney's bed while we read bedtime stories. He showed up every morning to watch as I brushed her hair waiting for his opportune moment to attack said hair brush. He was a good, sweet kitten. And now he's gone and I feel like I did when we lost Joey last Christmas. The good news is that he's not dying. The shelter we got him from seemed to have no problem thinking they would find him a home in no time. He's a kitten and he's good with kids so he's got everything going for him. In the back of my mind I wanted to scream at her, "but he's our cat." We wanted our home to be his home. We love him. And this hurts so much. And our house seems a little emptier without him.

No comments: