Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Cutting Edge...





OMG! Can you buh-lieve how stinking cute ice skates can be on a 6 year old? Seriously. Cute. Today, for the first time ever, Delaney and I attempted ice skating. Yes. I too have never been ice skating. Mostly because I really suck at rollerblading and I thought it would be a similar if not harder experience. Boy was I right. For those interested, I also happen to suck at ice skating. The only thing that kept me from busting my ass repeatedly today was the fact that Delaney and I were holding hands about 90% of the time and any time she would start the one-arm flap I would yank her back to her skates before she would eat it. I can't say I saved her every time but certainly did my best. For the first 2-3 laps around the rink, we were both hugging the wall. I'd like to think of that wall as a security blanket. I had a hard time saying good-bye. Eventually I thought I should quit making an ass of myself and let Delaney hold the wall with one hand while holding my other hand. Which means I had no wall and no security. It didn't help that little 3 year olds were whizzing past us at ridiculous speeds. Show offs. Nonetheless, we survived today and by the end, I was impressed at how much solo skating Delaney was doing and at a semi-quick pace. She had a great time and can't wait to go back! And while I too had a great time, my ankles were practically weeping as we left. Who knew it takes a lot of "ankle strength" to pull off that shindig? I can already hear Doug's "I told you so" speech. I look forward to seeing his abilities.

No comments: