Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Good-bye Paci








Okay, I'm gonna let some of you in on a big, dirty secret of ours. For the last 20 months or so, Hadley has still been using a pacifier at night. What's that? No. I. Don't. Care. It's like this. Hadley is my second child or as I like to put it, my baby. She is our last child. No more little Alexanders. So yes, I let things slide a bit with this girl because I know in my mind I will never have to go through this again. And the pacifier, or paci as we like to call it, was really my fault to begin with.

Delaney was 2-1/2 when Hadley made her debut into the world. Our life as we knew it was over. OVER. I had no idea how hard it would be going from one kid to two. It was MUCH harder the second time around for us. So when I was being summoned by Delaney with screaming Hadley needing to be nursed, a diaper change, a ride in the swing, something, I chose to enforce the paci so I could check on Delaney without the guilt. Insert paci and the world goes quiet. Aaah! So nice.

Fast forward to almost 3-1/2 years later. Last night was the first night she slept without it. I've been telling her for months that the "paci fairy is coming to take your pacis because you're a big girl now and you don't need them anymore. She comes to get them and leaves you a special surprise." The special surprise turned out to be a huge set of Little Pet Shop animals which my girls LOVE. I wasn't sure if it was going to work. Hadley has had a serious love affair with her pacis including always knowing which ones were in her drawer. She knew where they were kept and also knew she was only allowed to have them at night.

Fast forward to this morning. Imagine my surprise that Hadley survived the whole darn night with no pacis! Waaahoooo! I laid her down tonight for bed and she asked me about them. I told her they were all gone because she's a big girl and big girls don't sleep with pacis. She looked at me, smiled and rolled over to snuggle her frog. "Good night momma. I love you. See you in the morning." Sigh. This is why it's so hard sometimes. She is my baby. I just want to wrap her up in my arms and stick that damn paci back in her mouth. But I won't.....


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Spencer didn't get rid of his paci until he was three-we had the paci fairy come and visit also and she left him gum. Collin still has his and we think we will take them away when he is 3 but I don't think it will be as easy as it was with Spencer. As for Katie, she isn't into them that much yet but I do kind of force it on her for the same reasons you did with Hadley-it is so nice to have something to use when she is fussy and the boys need me!