Monday, August 30, 2010

Type 1

Hello blog world! Yes...I have been a slacker lately but as some of you know by now, with good reason to say the least. Last week I spent two days in the ICU at Kennestone Hospital being treated for diabetic ketoacidosis. I have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and am currently giving myself insulin injections. It has been a very eye-opening experience and I will have much more to say about this as time goes on. For most of the summer, I had been feeling bad. I had extreme thirst and then extreme weight loss. I even had blurry vision a few times and had no idea that these were all symptoms of diabetes. For those of you in the medical profession that are reading this, when I was admitted into the ER my blood sugar was 616. I had no idea just how sick my body was. I was severly dehydrated. The doctors were afraid I would lapse into a coma because of how high my sugar was and how long this had been ongoing. I was so scared. I just wanted to feel better. The next two days in ICU were awful. Really. Awful. I puked. I got all puffy from the fluids. I got visits from a nutritionist. I got visits from a diabetes counselor. At one point I could barely hobble out of bed to pee. I was so dehydrated they had a hard time getting an IV into either of my arms. I had my finger pricked every single hour for the first 24 hours.

In the end though? I feel blessed. I really do. I was scared before I knew it was diabetes that maybe I had cancer. Instead, I have diabetes. And while it sucks that I am on a 1,800 calorie diet every day and I have to count my carbohydrates and give myself insulin injections, I still feel blessed. How can I not? I am still here with my family and friends. It could be worse. There are so many more horrific things that could have happened to me. But here I am. Here is where I want to be.

Thanks to all of you that have sent well wishes and prayers my way. They have helped more than you can imagine. It's nice to feel so loved.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Katie, I am so sorry to hear about how sick you were. I am glad the doctors were able to figure it out and that you are feeling better.

Meghan Frye said...

Katie, I am glad to hear that you are feeling better, I hope that all goes well now that you have a diagnosis.

Carmen said...

Oh, hon, I had no idea! OMG. I'm glad you're ok now. DKA is a pretty wicked thing. Love you!