Sunday, August 15, 2010

Routine...where art thou?

Back to school = one hell of a week! Of course it doesn't help when you have a sinus infection and on top of that I managed to come down with hand-foot-mouth disease. Nice. For those of you lucky souls who've never managed to come down with that, you aren't missing much. It is HELL. No wonder the kiddos are such nightmares when they come down with this. Let me enlighten you. I have blisters on my tongue and every available crevice in my mouth possible. I made the mistake the first day I noticed said blisters by trying to drink a Dr. Pepper. Whoa! It felt like someone had opened my mouth, lit a match and tossed it in. Needless to say, no more Dr. Pepper for a while. Because I've felt so bad lately, it's probably been 2-3 weeks since I've enjoyed a glass of wine. Friday night I finally had a taste for one so I poured myself a glass and seated myself on the couch to watch some TV with Doug. One teeny weeny sip and oh holy shit I just burned off my tongue completely this time. Doug looked at me like I just landed on the couch from another planet meanwhile I'm dying! Dying I say...can't you tell Doug! No more wine. I got coffee this morning on the way to work because thank God I can still drink this without any backlash. Well the good folks over at Dunkin Donuts made it so ridiculously hot that I'm pretty sure it opened up some of the old wounds and even managed to burn off some of my taste buds as well. Needless to say, I need to hang a sign on my back that says, "Caution, keep away!"

So, back to school. Boy has this ever really kicked my ass. I've been getting up every day at 5:30 a.m. I shower and get ready. I go downstairs and get breakfast and lunches ready. I try to remember to start the coffee but I admit, there were a few mornings where it never crossed my mind until after Delaney was safely deposited at school. Like how does that even happen? I know. 6:50 a.m. I sneak into Delaney's room and wake her. Some mornings she's already awake which sure is nice and makes me feel less guilty for waking her. We go downstairs together. We watch iCarly and slurp down our breakfast as fast as we can. Which I have to say, I really HATE. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I really dislike having to eat like it's a contest to see who can finish first. I will always lose this game. 7:15 a.m. we head upstairs and get dressed, brush teeth, and make beds. Meanwhile I get Hadley up because she's usually still in bed. Luckily, most of the time, she's already awake and just staring off into space. While I hate to intrude upon her quiet alone time, we do have to get out the door. So up she goes and into the bathroom. 7:40 a.m. we are heading to the car. After yelling and corralling them, we are finally ready to go. Lucky for us, school is about 5-7 minutes away.

While Delaney is away at school, Hadley and I have been doing errands, seeing movies, having a few play dates, gymnastics, grocery shopping, etc. Hadley's preschool does not begin again until Tuesday so we've had a little extra time together just the two of us. Delaney's school dismisses at 2:20 p.m. so we usually try to get there at 2:10 because of the obscene amount of cars in the car line. By the time we usually get up to the pick up area it's 2:40. Ridiculous I say! So by the time we get home and unload it's practically 3:00. Delaney is fried. Mommy is fried. Hadley is just plain happy Delaney is home. Her sister! Her bestest friend! The girls usually retire upstairs to goof off and play. I usually retire to my new best friends...the couch. How I love thee! Always there. Always reliable.

No comments: