Friday, August 6, 2010

Off to Kindergarten she goes....




Today is Delaney's first day of Kindergarten. Oh boy. For all of you that thought I would break down after walking her in to school, that did not happen. I give myself props for that because I too was so sure it would happen. No, I saved the breaking down for after school. I have to say though, I was extremely proud of Delaney this morning. She walked right into her class and sat down in a chair of her choice, and starting coloring her picture that the teacher gave her. Excuse me, Mrs. Robinson. She waved good-bye to me and off I went. What I wanted to do was grab her by the hand and yank her out of school as fast as I could. It's all happening so fast and I'm. Just. Not. Ready.

I was informed that the students are dismissed at 2:20 p.m. Delaney is a car rider. She does not want to ride the bus. Which is fine with me considering school is a mere 5 minutes away. So I pull in the school to get her at 2:17 p.m and the car line is so freaking long that I mentally curse myself for not bringing a magazine or book; something to pass the time. At 2:54 p.m. I pull up to the stretch where the kids are being loaded into their cars. Delaney sees me and breaks out with the biggest sweet smile ever. It makes my heart feel like it will explode. It makes me want to jump out of the car and squeeze the life out of her. But I don't because I certainly don't want to embarrass her in front of the older kids. So we pull away and I start asking a billion questions of which I get short answers and not as much information as I would like. She misses her old friends and teachers. She is in a world now where she knows no one yet. She did really enjoy PE which she actually did discuss in detail. She doesn't like the mean teacher's assistant (which she does not have a name other than mean teacher). According to Delaney, mean teacher put her in time out for something she did NOT do. Very adamant to make sure I understood this. She even gets teary eyed. Of course I am instantly furious with mean teacher. I don't know the full story but Delaney went to preschool for 4 years and I can count on one hand how many times she was sent to time out while there. So now I already have a disliking for mean teacher. I don't want to be that bitch mom that the teachers all loathe and gossip about. But one thing I will NOT stand for is someone being a shit to my kid. So mean teacher....you have been warned!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I don't even want to think about Spencer going to kindergarten. It is a year away and already it makes me want to cry. He talks about it and says he is ready but I know that I won't be! Congrats on making it through the first day.