Sunday, June 6, 2010

Quick takes...summer style

1. Our water slide has died. Our fun-filled water slide that was a hand-me-down from Nana, has expired. I noticed this year when I lugged it out of the basement and plopped it down in the back yard that is wasn't looking as good as it has in summers past. Of course, being in the sun, while crazy kiddos are climbing on you, swinging from you and jumping up and down on you, I'm not really that surprised that it just gave up. We had a play date a few weeks ago and the kids accidentally popped a hole in it. And not a small one I may add. It was big and in a bad spot. But I figured if I slapped some duct tape on it, it would be fine. Because as we all know, duct tape can fix anything, right? Wrong. It didn't work. Not because the duct tape wasn't super strong but because the hole was near a spot where it is continuously got soaked in water and the tape couldn't withstand being wet. So we said good-bye to the water slide. Delaney sobbed uncontrollably for at least 10 minutes. I was sympathetic at first because it was a freaking awesome water slide and putting myself in her shoes, it does suck when your favorite water apparatus is no longer viable. But after a few minutes I told her to knock it off as it is only a water slide and not a person or pet. I promised her I would try to find a new one but since I don't have an extra $400 just lying around, she may have to wait until next summer. Rest in peace dear water slide. Our summers won't be the same without you.

2. We finally made our debut at the neighborhood pool just the other day. It's been open for a few weeks but with our gymnastics classes and play dates we haven't had time to make it down there. And the rain! All the rain we are still being hammered with isn't helping matters either. It was cloudy and maybe 72 degrees but we were bored and the girls have been dying to go. So we went. We were the only ones there other than a small family of a mom and her two older sons. Delaney had a blast. Hadley was very reluctant to get in the water and I don't know if that was because it was so cold or if she's going through a phase of being a little afraid. I didn't make an issue out of it. Delaney's big thing that she is ridiculously proud of is that she can jump in the water all by herself. So she backs up and makes a running start and leaps into the water. Oops. She forgot to plug her nose and she has managed to inhale a small amount of water. And it burns. "I have fire in my nose momma!!!" After explaining that she has to pinch her nose closed or blow out through her nose she decided to take another stab at it. She got out of the pool elated. "Momma, I didn't even hold my nose and there's NO FIRE!" It's so hard not to laugh at a statement like that. Kids are so funny with their wording.

3. Hadley had her first gymnastics class ever last week. She was so cute. I was unsure if she would do it since she's only ever observed. Also she's barely 3 and Delaney was 4-1/2 when she started. But with her climbing abilities and her flexibility, I thought it would suit her well. She was pretty shy at first and I think she even shed a few tears while Delaney and I were waiting in the upstairs observing area to see her. She came out with 2 other little girls. I sat and watched completely transfixed on what she was doing. One thing I observed is just how strong she really is. Not that I didn't know. Believe me, she's no wimp by any stretch. But she truly has good upper body strength. She listened to her teacher very well. By the time she was finished she was running circles around the entryway playing happily with one of her new friends.

4. Our family trip to Pensacola Beach may be cancelled very soon. I'm really sick about this. I look forward every year to going to the beach. We usually go to Hilton Head Island. This year we've changed our location due to the fact that Doug's best friend is getting married in Destin and he's in the wedding. We figured since we'll already be down there we might as well make a week out of it and take the girls. Now the oil has arrived and we've been told the stench is horrific. It pisses me off something serious. I was already riled up by the oil that's been pumped into the ocean potentially harming sea life and such. It seems careless and I didn't feel like enough was being done to stop it. I know I shouldn't be so selfish when it's just a vacation and we can go elsewhere. But still. I'm mad about it and I know the girls will be disappointed. So now we're trying to come up with an alternative. I would love some suggestions if you have any!

5. I caught Doug the other night standing on the porch in his t-shirt and boxers signing a contract with a Terminix representative. I couldn't believe my eyes really. Him being in his boxers, yeah that one didn't surprise me a darn bit. If the man could get away with wearing them and only them to work I'm quite sure he would. The signing of a contract with Terminix, that did surprise me. He never wants to be tied down to a contract. Never. You know what they say, never say never. I complain every single summer about bugs. I really hate them. I have no problem killing them with the exception of the cockroach or as we know them in the south....palmetto bugs. Palmetto bugs are actually the biggest roach I have ever laid eyes on and those damn things can fly. Aaaaah! They become a nuisance in June and stay that way until about October when it starts to cool off. Anyway, I hate them. A whole lot. So the very next day Terminix comes out and sprays the inside and outside of the house. I'm ecstatic! In the back of my mind I realize that by spraying them it's probably going to make any bugs that are hanging around lurking in the darkness to come on out. So yesterday I'm getting out of the shower to get ready for work. I look down and dammit, there's a roach and he's actually staring at me. And he's really HUGE. So I hop out of the shower and contemplate what I should do. I don't want to be too loud because it's 5:30 a.m. and Doug is slumbering away in the next room. I'm dripping wet and naked with no shoes lying around to use as a weapon. All of a sudden, he starts charging me. And I'm backing up rather fast because I'm scared shitless. I'm clutching my underwear and realize I need to kill him and fast so he can't get into our closet. Using my underwear I start swatting at him. And he's escaping. I try to use pressure and he's still crawling out from under my underwear unharmed. AAAAAAhhhhhh! So I throw the underwear on him again, grab a flip flop that's sitting right inside the door of the closet and give him a deserving smack down. And he dies. I'm pretty sure I was much louder than I wanted to be but all in the name of saving myself. I was edgy for the rest of the morning.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I think Hadley and Collin are way too much alike! I have to tell you that I hate cockroaches and I probably would have woken Rob up to kill it even though it was so early in the morning! I have been known to call my next door neighbor's boys over to kill cockroaches before-I really hate them and they really freak me out!