Friday, May 28, 2010

The "Great" Sleepover of 2010

Delaney & MacKenzie wearing their matching Disney World pajamas

Delaney, MacKenzie & Lizzie (at 9:30 p.m.)

The Get-a-long Gang featuring The Princess & the Frog instruments


BFF's


Delaney has been badgering me for months about having a sleepover. I told her we could not do it over Spring Break because of Hadley's potty training. I told her to wait until school was out for the summer and we would do it. Oh boy. Clearly I did not remember how much sleep actually takes place at a sleepover. Not. Very. Much. At. All.



Wednesday Night




5:10 p.m. Cars doors are slamming. Girls are scurrying for my front porch. Delaney is squealing because after waiting and waiting it's finally time for her sleepover. She thrusts open the door and the girls are all simultaneously jumping up and down. Before I can blink my eyes, they are gone and upstairs running from room to room.

5:30 p.m. I am throwing pizza on plates for 5 girls. They are all chattering away. The noise is seriously deafening. There is one rather chatty girl who is telling me why she likes only cheese pizza and nothing else. Okay kid, I believe you. Sit down.

5:50 p.m. After deciding they are not hungry due to being in each other's company and all the excitement, the girls decide they want to put on their swimsuits and go out and slip 'n slide. Fine. Suddenly there is a flurry of nakedness as all the girls are basically stripping off their clothes right in the entry way of the house where their suitcases were. No modesty in this group.

6:00 p.m. The slip 'n slide is in full swing. The girls are a little catty about who gets to go first. Delaney is the only one who seems to know how to actually do the slip 'n slide. Not sure if that's good or bad really. Some of the girls are playing in the pool. Some are trying to drive the Barbie Jeep. It's just chaos. I'm sitting on the porch supervising and trying to inhale a few slices of pizza while I have a chance. One slice into it, I hear a few shrieks coming from the direction of the slip 'n slide. Crap. Apparently one of the girls has jumped on the inflatable end where all the water pools, and has popped a huge ass hole in it. Now the slip 'n slide has no pool area and Delaney is kinda pissed. MacKenzie actually blamed Buddy (who was sitting on the porch bumming pizza off of me). Guilt makes us say crazy things sometimes.

6:25 p.m. Huge storm comes from out of nowhere so I wrap everyone in towels and send them back in the house. More nakedness. Wet bathing suits and towels are being sloshed around my dry clean floors. Oh well. The girls take off for upstairs. Sigh. I am a little tired already and they've barely been here for over an hour. I decide to inhale the last piece of pizza.

7:00 p.m. I announce that it's time to make sundaes. Oh holy crap! Those girls came dashing down the stairs like Hannah Montana was going to perform live in the family room. Ice cream, sprinkles, chocolate syrup, m&m's, marshmallows, whipped cream. Those girls wasted no time at all. MacKenzie didn't seem to care if she liked it or not. "I want everything!" I couldn't fault her for that.

7:30 p.m. "We're hungry," they all chorus. "Of course you are, you didn't eat your dinner," I reply. So after a little debating, we agree on watching a movie and making popcorn. We have a tie between watching Alice in Wonderland and Alvin & the Chipmunks. Alice in Wonderland won. The girls run upstairs to grab their sleeping bags and pillows. They arrange them all over the family room.

8:15 p.m. They are all back upstairs in the play room. There are toys absolutely everywhere. And sleeping bags. The room is a danger to even dare to walk through. They are all happily playing games and dressing up. Hadley is in on the dress up. She walks up to me covered in a Cinderella outfit on top of her nightgown. "I dress up Momma!" She too is enjoying the sleepover. The big girls are all being so sweet to her and inviting her in on the fun. I'm sure it had nothing whatsoever to do with me threatening Delaney.

9:37 p.m. I notice how incredibly tired one of the girls are. Kaitlyn's mom had warned me that she had a lot going on today and might be tired early. So I figure it's a good time to get them ready for bed. I know they will not be asleep for hours. I am done though. I need a break. I am tired and could use a small glass of wine. So to bed it is.

10:00 p.m. I am just sitting down on the couch when I hear feet in the hallway upstairs. Damn. I've just taken the first sip of my wine. I go upstairs. Kaitlyn informs me that she wants to go home. Crap. I'm not mad because I kind of expected this from her. She had been sending me these vibes all night long and now it's been confirmed. A mother's intuition is always right. I call her mom and we make arrangements to meet.

10:40 p.m. I'm home from dropping off Kaitlyn. I sneak upstairs and the girls are not yet asleep but whispering to each other in the dark. I decide to call it a night and go to bed.

11:30 p.m. Getting a little pissed that I'm still wide awake but hopeful that I'll be asleep soon.

4:45 a.m. Doug wakes me to tell me that he's just gotten up to get ready for work and the girls are already awake in the play room. I sneak down the hallway and sure enough they are whispering again. Good God! How can they not be tired? I shuffle back down the hall and try to go back to sleep.

5:30 a.m. I cannot go back to sleep. Damn Doug! Why did he feel it necessary to wake me to tell me they're not sleeping? Oh well. I shuffle back down the hallway again. Yes, they're definitely awake. I open the door and remind the girls that it's very early and they need to try to go back to sleep.

6:50 a.m. Delaney has appeared in the kitchen where I'm starting to prepare breakfast. "Can we come down now?"

10:00 a.m. MacKenzie's mom picks her up. They have family visiting and they're headed off to spend the day at Stone Mountain. The girls are sad she's going as she's also sad to be leaving. They wave her off and continue to play.

1:00 p.m. Lizzie's mom picks her up. The girls are all running out of gas. They are all tired. Even Hadley who got a good night's sleep in her own room in her own bed is looking tired. We wave Lizzie off. Hadley retreats to her own bed and falls asleep within a few minutes. Delaney comes into my bed with me. She lies down on my pillow and closes her eyes. No kidding, 30 seconds later she is lightly snoring. And then I roll over and close my eyes.

No comments: