Friday, April 16, 2010

My good friend, Michelle

Today was one of those days. You know. The days where you wish you could get back in bed and start all over. Yep. I had one of those kind of days today. I'm not even sure where it all went wrong but I found myself having an almost out-of-body experience and that's when I knew. That today was going to SUCK no matter how hard I tried. And to be honest, once I figured it out, I'm not sure I tried very hard to make it any better. I know that's terrible to admit but sometimes...sometimes I'm tired. I'm tired of the whining, fighting, complaining, needing, wanting, crying, screaming, kicking, tantrum throwing, etc. So what did I do? I stepped outside and....

S-C-R-E-A-M-E-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I screamed so effing loud that our neighbor's dogs howled inside their house. And you know what? It felt good. Who knew that sometimes just flexing your vocal cords can do so much good. Then, I packed up the girls and we headed over to Michelle's house for a play date. We screech to a stop in front of her house and I'm practically running to the front door. I'm desperate because I need to be around another mommy friend today that gets me. And one of the few people that truly gets me and knows the "real" me is my dear good friend, Michelle. The kids dart into the house screeching because it's been two whole days since they last saw their friends and they're still overjoyed to see them again. Michelle has been filling up the inflatable pool with water in the backyard. The girls catch wind of this and their eyes practically roll back in their heads. POOL! I strip off their clothes and throw on their bathing suits. I spray on sunscreen, tie their hair up and shove them into the backyard. Buh-bye...

Michelle and I grab a stack of People's magazines and sit on the porch chatting, complaining and basically just happy to have each other's company. We break up the occasional fight because "so-and-so splashed me." Then Michelle disappears into the house and comes out with two glasses of wine and two plates of strawberry cake. And not just any strawberry cake. Like the most divine and delicious strawberry cake I ever laid eyes on. And that's before I took a bite. I could blog an entire entry and how flipping fantastic that piece of cake tasted. I did everything but get down and lick the plate clean (don't think I didn't want to). We sipped our wine and chatted for another hour or so as the kids are still playing. More time passes and I realize I need to start rounding up the girls so we can go home. A process that always seems to take at least 30 minutes.

We finally get in the car and are pulling out of the cul-de-sac. Delaney and Hadley are pleading (whining) for me to please let them listen to the iPod. So I turn it on and hand it back. I remind them about the two-song rule so they remember to share. Then I sit back and drive home through the hellish Atlanta traffic that seems to rear it's ugly head especially on Friday afternoons. And I realize...I survived this day. That even though this day started out really badly, it ended pretty good. Even though my girls drive me absolutely crazy sometimes, they are mine and I will love them until the end of time. And having friends that understand you and do the simplest of things to make your day better, is a precious gift. Thank you Michelle! You truly ROCK!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just made me cry! I am also thankful to have such a dear friend like you! P.s. the cake and wine might have to become a tradition;)