Friday, April 23, 2010

Happy Birthday to sweet little Hadley...




























Dear Hadley,


I cannot even believe for one minute that my little baby girl has turned 3 (or #3 as you refer to it). How is that possible? It seems like just yesterday we brought you home from the hospital. You have always been my laid-back little "zen" girl. Although you are growing up and becoming quite a BIG girl, there are still some things that let me know you're still my baby. For instance, your pacifier. Yes, I realize now that I should have banished that thing from the house before you even had your first birthday. It definitely would have been smarter on my part. Now, I'm stuck with a 3 year old that still asks for her pacifier every night. "The pink one momma." And while some people will be shocked to hear this, it really doesn't bother me too much. Yes, we will have to take it away very soon indeed. You will be sad and heartbroken. And I will too. Sometimes though, this is the price of being a "big" girl. You have to say good-bye to things that are familiar and feel sacred and that are a part of you. But you will be fine and move on. See, even as I'm typing this, I feel sad for you. The truth is, you're my baby. My last little baby and I'm sure part of the reason I've let you keep around that darn pacifier is that once it's gone, you will truly seem like a big girl. You're it kid. No more babies after you. While I have made my peace with this, it still feels heavy to say it out loud like that. So, what I mean to say is, I have to stop treating you like a baby. Even though you will always be my baby, you are quite the big girl now. You've become so independent it's downright frustrating sometimes. "I do it myself momma!" "Go away momma, I do it!" I try not to let your words hurt because I know how proud of yourself you are and make no mistake, your daddy and I are very proud of you too. Seriously though, slow down already and quit growing up so fast. Because again, I cannot believe you are 3!!!

All my love,

Momma









No comments: