Tuesday, December 22, 2009

This hectic season that I love so

"Are you ready for Christmas?" This is the question we ask anyone & everyone at this time of year. You don't even have to know the person you are asking said question to because it's definitely universal. For the most part I can always answer yes. I am one of those people that start Christmas shopping in October. I put up our Christmas tree after Thanksgiving and have even done so a day or two before Thanksgiving. I mail out Christmas cards by the second week in December. I start baking cookies the first weekend in December. I light candles scented as cinnamon or fake Christmas tree scent (the latter one is especially nice considering we have a fake tree). I drive the girls around for weeks throughout the month to see all the Christmas lights. Yes...I LOVE Christmas. But the last few days always serve to make me a feel a little unprepared.

How is your day going? Here's a peek at what it's been like here today:

1. Hadley who has had a cold that has lasted f-o-r-e-v-e-r, woke herself up in a coughing fit at 6:30 this morning and was unable to go back to sleep. I tried desperately to hold out until 7 to get her out of bed but by 6:53 she was ALL DONE DAMMIT. Went in to get her up completely annoyed by her ranting to be rewarded with the sweetest little look of bed-head I've ever seen. So now I'm smiling at her because she seems to have this effect on me.

2. At 7:45 a.m., my girlfriend, Shona, calls to tell me that Henry is coming down with something. We reschedule our play date and I mentally review all the last minute things I need to do. I decide that we will grocery shop for Christmas today because according to the weatherman, we are getting 3 inches or more of rain ALL day long on Christmas Eve so I will have no patience to try and drag two kids & myself out into the pouring rain.

3. I break up a huge fight over a Dumbo coloring picture. Delaney is shrieking that it is her picture not Hadley's (even though it is uncolored at this point). I find the Dumbo picture from last night that Hadley scribbled on for two seconds and give it to her so she can finish. I scold Delaney for crying & whining about a coloring picture. "We can print a million more if you want. There's no need to scream at your sister." She is still insisting that it was her picture. Whatever.

4. Doug calls to tell me that he finished up our Christmas list. He is truly a last minute shopper and I gave him 2-3 items that I needed him to pick up as a way of helping out. I have about 3-4 more presents stashed away that I need to wrap and get under the tree but I decide to wait until he brings me home the rest of our list so I can wrap at once. Tick tock tick tock.

5. Get girls dressed and buckled into the car. It is time to go grocery shop so I make sure I have my bribery candy necklaces so I can accomplish said task in somewhat peace. Hadley is demanding a snack (goldfish) so I'm fumbling around for a bowl. Give her the goldfish while Miley Cyrus is blaring in the car. About a minute later I hear, "Here Mom!" I reach my hand back and she hands me her bowl still slap full of goldfish. "Juice!" I hand her her cup. Twenty seconds later, "Here Mom!" I reach back for her cup. Ten seconds later, "Fish back please!" I hand her back the bowl. Two minutes later, "Here Mom!" I reach back and again she hands me her bowl. "Juice!" Oh my GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

6. I pull into the driveway from grocery shopping and I notice both girls have stripped off their socks and shoes. I ask Delaney to pick up both before getting out of the car. She breaks down crying because she's sooo hungry and doesn't feel good and has to carry her horses which means she can't carry both. Really? I wonder what she would do if I starting crying and acting like a lunatic over something so trivial. Actually, I may try it. Lord knows that I should have enough experience with all the temper tantrums that go on around here.

Fa-la-la-la-la....la-la-la-la!

No comments: