Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Shana Abe


Okay, for those of you that know me well, you know how much I LOVE to read.  Seriously, I read whenever I get a spare moment.  I read if the girls are playing nicely together and don't require my attention.  I read while waiting on dinner to cook.  I read while the girls are at preschool.  I read at night when the girls are sleeping so peacefully.  I read in the morning sometimes before the pitter patter of little feet greet me.  Okay, okay...you get it!  I LOVE to read.  So anyway, a few months back my good friend, Shona, received a book from her husband, Jon, and she called me up squealing into the phone that I just HAD to read this book.  

Just to back up for a moment and give you a small history between Katie and Shona, we both LOVE to read.  Shona is like my soul mate when it comes to reading.  It's seriously like we were separated at birth.  She also reads whenever time permits and we are constantly on the phone dishing about whatever book we happen to be reading at the moment.  We do daily chats about the characters in our books and how we feel about them.  We read almost the exact same books.  If I get a new book and fall in love with it, chances are that Shona will also feel the same way.  

Anyway, so Shona calls me panting into the phone that I HAVE to read this book she got.  Jon travels quite frequently and sometimes he snags her a little gift from the airport because he's thoughtful like that.  He happened to grab the book "The Last Mermaid" by Shana Abe.  I've never heard of her (not that that would be unusual) and up until this moment, I had never read anything she'd written.  Knowing Shona though, I tell her I will read it as soon as she passes it my way.  So we meet for dinner one night and we swap books.  I take home her book and completely forget about it because the latest installment of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon has come out and NOTHING is going to keep me from devouring every single page of it.  Even Shona's latest addiction.  

Three weeks later I pick up Shona's book.  Holy shit!  Shona rules!  Shana Abe rules!  Jon rules for buying the damn thing!  This book was awesome!  LOVE it!  Oh my God how I love it!  And typical that I am, I go online and look up a few of Shana Abe's other books just to see what's out there.  I order a couple because I'm curious to see if they're all as awesome as this one was.  So then yesterday I get "The Dream Thief" in the mail and sit down last night to read it.  It's not a long read; 335 pages total I think.   I seriously finished it less than 24 hours later.  It was so flipping good!  I mean really good!  So now, I am on a quest to get all of her books so I devour them one by one.

No comments: