Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Great Outdoors







This past weekend, Doug and Delaney tried their hands at camping at Red Top Mountain. When I say camping, I do mean sleeping in a tent with no air conditioning, no bathroom (they do have facilities but you have to walk a little to get to them), and creepy crawling bugs & possibly snakes nearby. Can you tell that I don't camp? Ever. The only camping I will do is in an RV or a log cabin that has electricity & plumbing. Yes, I realize I never would have survived back in the day where you had to squat in a bowl beside your bed every morning to use the potty. Not me. This is why I was born into this lifetime. God just knew I'd be a pain.
Hadley & I did visit the campsite every day for dinner & swimming at the nearby Lake Allatoona. I did not mind this part at all. It was in fact fun & the girls both had a blast. The first of the two nights we visited, Doug let the girls cook their hot dogs on a fire. Delaney thought that was cool. The second night we grilled hamburgers & invited Doug's folks to come hang out with us. We also got to do smores which is always delicious & fun! Too bad we didn't have a guitar or we could have broke into song & dance around the fire pit! Haha! Yeah, I can just see Doug doing this....
So on the second night while we were making smores, I was sitting at the picnic table with the girls doing the prep work while the guys were roasting marshmallows. Delaney was enjoying her smore & chatting with me. While we're in the midst of conversation, I felt a little tickling on my neck. About this time, I look up and Delaney is staring at me & says, "Mommy, you have a spid....." Too late, I didn't even wait to hear the rest of her sentence because I jumped and swatted the HUGE creature off of my neck. Yes, it was a granddaddy longs legs spider and I'm not exaggerating, the thing was flippin BIG. Of course this reaction made Delaney collapse into a giggling fit. Later on after the camping trip was over, I asked her what her favorite thing about camping is. And she told me, "When that big spider was on your neck and you started screaming. That was REAL funny mommy." Note to self, sometimes my kids do think I'm funny.



9 comments:

The Fenwick Family said...

Nice to meet you,the title of your blog attracted me because that is deeply what I believe!You have beautiful children!! We have 2 boys who are full of energy and we are in the process of bringing home our blessing "Maiya" from India,you are welcome to follow our journey!!! Gidget at
www.fantasticfenwickfamily.blogspot.com

I am Harriet said...

Hi there.
I'm just stopping by via the blog hop to check out different sites. Have a great weekend.
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com

Transparent Mama said...

Could your kids get any cuter? Saw you on the blog hop and had to come see you. Love the blog title. Come see me for a visit.

SmartPumpkin'sMom said...

I am blog hopping around :)
wow! that is such a cool picture on your header! they are adorable!
i also have a daughter. join me for some parenting stuff at http://smartpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

Mommyof2girlz said...

Great pictures! Hopping by from the blog hop to say hello. Have a fun and safe Independents Day :)

Shelly said...

Hi there, stopping by on the blog hop. I am totally with you on camping! I like clean bathrooms, bug free areas, and a nice comfy bed! Gimme a hotel near the beach & I am content. I tried camping in a tent once and we sold our tent after that. lol.

Have a happy 4th of July!

http://www.atticgirl.blogspot.com

Sheila said...

Hoppin in to say hi, hope you have a wonderful weekend!

greenkiddo said...

aww! y'all are so cute! we miss you!! we are around the rest of the summer so let's play!

Just_Aimee said...

Hopping by to say hi. Your girls are very cute! It is good to meet you.