Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hadley the fish


Yes...this is our cute little fish aka Hadley. This is the first year I have felt comfortable enough taking the girls to our neighborhood pool without Doug in tow. For starters, as a lot of you know, I have a weird phobia of kids in water. I know it sounds crazy but I feel like an overcautious nervous wreck of a mom. Unfortunately, because of my neurosis, I think Delaney is kind of a chicken when it comes to being in the water. She's fine in kiddie pools and things of that nature but a big pool is another story. It's probably my fault. I've always heard the saying that you tend to pass on your fears to your kids.
This year with Hadley, I was determined to be better & not act like a lunatic. So we purchased a pair of floaties for her and marched down to the pool. It didn't take this child long to figure out how to keep her mouth shut or to spit out the water. We tried easing her into jumping off the side into the water. We would let her jump into our arms and NOT let her go under. This lasted for about 20 minutes and then I bravely opened my big mouth and said, "Doug, just let her go under and see what happens." Okay. Fine. So we did. And you know what? She acted like she'd been doing it her whole little 2- year old life. Not a big deal for her at all. Of course, I became a nervous wreck all over again! How can I not? Hadley was going under the water a good foot or more before coming back up! Aaaaah! My stomach was twisted into knots & I felt like I would throw up at any minute. But I didn't...and she's loving her new found freedom in the pool. Of course now the problem with our super swimmer is, she does better than her 4-year old sister! I actually caught myself saying to Delaney the other day, "If your baby sister can do it, so can you." Ha! Bad mama! And really, how can I say this when I know exactly how Delaney feels?

1 comment:

j rodriguez said...

great blog from john and laura from change what u drive